/-:
(...)
I want to build it. There is nothing wrong with that.
--------------------------------------------
Em seg, 12/6/17, Yann Leboulanger <asterix(a)lagaule.org> escreveu:
Assunto: Re: [Gajim-devel] Problems building Gajim from source, installing and running it
Para: gajim-devel(a)gajim.org
Data: Segunda-feira, 12 de Junho de 2017, 16:34
Hi,
Why don't you install python-gtk instead of
trying to build it? You use
Ubuntu, not
Arch.
--
Yann
On
11/06/2017 23:49, Dedeco Balaco wrote:
>
Hello,
>
> some days
ago, although I am fairly satisfied with my current XMPP
> client, Pidgin, I decided to try Gajim. It
seems to be more close to
> use all the
features that XMPP can offer.
>
> There is something a bit unusual -
although not a problem, just for
> what
it is. The machine I use most is old, and has Ubuntu 10.04
in it.
> It runs fine, with all the
programs I need and like and with a good
> performance. Great.
>
> I am not too familiar
with building processes, although I have done
> several of them (since and along years
ago).
>
> My current
problem is that Gajim complains that it needs PyGTK 2.22+
> to run. But I have PyGTK 2.24.0
installed!
>
> The
full story of my process of getting the Gajim source,
installing
> and/or compiling and
installing dependencies is detailed in a
> LinuxQuestions' thread. I will give
you the thread address, but I will
> also
summarize the important parts (for this discussion) right
after:
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/installing-needed-…
>
>
>
1. Downloaded Gajim 0.16.7 tarball:
> https://gajim.org/downloads.php?lang=en#source
>
> 2. Discovered
dependency: installed python-nbxmpp (
>
https://dev.gajim.org/gajim/python-nbxmpp/
) from source. A few more
> packages
were installed through Synaptic (details in post #1).
>
> 3. To install PyGTK
2.24.0 (
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pygtk/2.24/
), pygobject >=
> 2.21.3 was
needed, tar.bz of 2.21.3 here:
> https://launchpad.net/pygobject/+milestone/2.21.3
>
> 4. PyGTK reported,
before building:
> ==
> The following modules will be built:
> atk
> pango
>
> The following modules
will NOT be built:
> pangocairo
> gtk
> gtk.glade
> gtk.unixprint
>
> Numpy support: no
>
==
>
> 4.1. What
should I do to build those in the "NOT" section?
Are they
> used by Gajim?
>
> 4.2. PyGTK installer
reported (full report on thread page 2, post #21):
>
> Libraries have been
installed in:
>
/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gtk-2.0
>
> 5. PyGTK 2.24.0 is
installed. Gajim still does not work, saying that
> it needs PyGTK 2.22+. What to do?
>
> 6. Someone said that
"Gajim requires: pycrypto, pyOpenSSL,
> python-nbxmpp". I have not found this
written in any Gajim file I
> downloaded.
Does my build of Gajim includes support for security
> features?
>
> I will be waiting for comments or (in the
best possibility) the
> solution for my
problem,
>
>
Dedeco
>
>
_______________________________________________
> Gajim-devel mailing list
> Gajim-devel(a)gajim.org
> https://lists.gajim.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/gajim-devel
_______________________________________________
Gajim-devel mailing list
Gajim-devel(a)gajim.org
https://lists.gajim.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/gajim-devel
Hello,
some days ago, although I am fairly satisfied with my current XMPP
client, Pidgin, I decided to try Gajim. It seems to be more close to use
all the features that XMPP can offer.
There is something a bit unusual - although not a problem, just for what
it is. The machine I use most is old, and has Ubuntu 10.04 in it. It
runs fine, with all the programs I need and like and with a good
performance. Great.
I am not too familiar with building processes, although I have done
several of them (since and along years ago).
My current problem is that Gajim complains that it needs PyGTK 2.22+ to
run. But I have PyGTK 2.24.0 installed!
The full story of my process of getting the Gajim source, installing
and/or compiling and installing dependencies is detailed in a
LinuxQuestions' thread. I will give you the thread address, but I will
also summarize the important parts (for this discussion) right after:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/installing-needed-…
1. Downloaded Gajim 0.16.7 tarball:
https://gajim.org/downloads.php?lang=en#source
2. Discovered dependency: installed python-nbxmpp (
https://dev.gajim.org/gajim/python-nbxmpp/ ) from source. A few more
packages were installed through Synaptic (details in post #1).
3. To install PyGTK 2.24.0 (
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pygtk/2.24/ ), pygobject >=
2.21.3 was needed, tar.bz of 2.21.3 here:
https://launchpad.net/pygobject/+milestone/2.21.3
4. PyGTK reported, before building:
==
The following modules will be built:
atk
pango
The following modules will NOT be built:
pangocairo
gtk
gtk.glade
gtk.unixprint
Numpy support: no
==
4.1. What should I do to build those in the "NOT" section? Are they used
by Gajim?
4.2. PyGTK installer reported (full report on thread page 2, post #21):
Libraries have been installed in:
/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gtk-2.0
5. PyGTK 2.24.0 is installed. Gajim still does not work, saying that it
needs PyGTK 2.22+. What to do?
6. Someone said that "Gajim requires: pycrypto, pyOpenSSL,
python-nbxmpp". I have not found this written in any Gajim file I
downloaded. Does my build of Gajim includes support for security features?
I will be waiting for comments or (in the best possibility) the solution
for my problem,
Dedeco
Hi,
no it was not my intention to not send to the list.
pycrypto and pyOpenSSL are not needed to build Gajim and not needed to
run Gajim, these are just recommended to extend the functionality
other than the gtk module which seems to be not build or not in the
right place, i dont think you have to expect much more problems.
you posted a snippet where it says
not build:
gtk
so this is a very strong hint for me that infact you did not install pygtk.
maybe on your system a older version of pygtk is shipped, but i dont
think you installed 2.24 correctly.
sorry i dont know how to help you getting pygtk to run, but at least you
have now a way to determine if its installed correctly
best wishes
lovetox
Am 12.06.2017 um 01:52 schrieb Dedeco Balaco:
> You did not send your answer to the list. Is this what you wanted?
>
> Tell me one detail: are pycrypto and pyOpenSSL dependencies to run
> Gajim or to build it? If they are just to run, fine. Else, something
> is needed in the building steps we make to point when they are missing
> (something that did not happen to me).
>
> Thank you for the Python snippet. (...) Strange: check these lines
> copied from my terminal, where I just ran your two lines:
>
> ==
> $ python
> Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Feb 27 2014, 19:44:14)
> [GCC 4.4.3] on linux2
> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
> >>> import gtk
> >>> gtk.gtk_version
> (2, 20, 1)
> >>>
> ==
>
> So this means the PyGTK 2.24.0 I installed is not where python looks
> for it. Do you know what I should do? Just giving pygtk source a
> different '--prefix' is enough? Is this change (i.e., the installation
> after them) safe for my OS and everything it has in Python, right now?
>
> If you do not know, I will try a message for the PyGTK project.
>
> Regards
>
>
> Em 11-06-2017 19:09, forenjunkie escreveu:
>> Hello,
>>
>> All recommended dependencies should be installed, that includes
>> pycrypto, pyOpenSSL, but they are not needed to get Gajim running. so
>> you can install them at a later point.
>>
>> Your problem is most definitly that the gtk module is not build.
>>
>> You can test if it is installed when you open a python2 console and type
>>
>> import gtk
>>
>> gtk.gtk_version
>>
>>
>> thats essentially what gajim does and where it fails with an error
>> message.
>>
>> how to get gtk to build is probably a question to the people that made
>> pygtk.
>>
>>
>> best wishes
>>
>> lovetox
>>
>>
>> Am 11.06.2017 um 23:49 schrieb Dedeco Balaco:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> some days ago, although I am fairly satisfied with my current XMPP
>>> client, Pidgin, I decided to try Gajim. It seems to be more close to
>>> use all the features that XMPP can offer.
>>>
>>> There is something a bit unusual - although not a problem, just for
>>> what it is. The machine I use most is old, and has Ubuntu 10.04 in it.
>>> It runs fine, with all the programs I need and like and with a good
>>> performance. Great.
>>>
>>> I am not too familiar with building processes, although I have done
>>> several of them (since and along years ago).
>>>
>>> My current problem is that Gajim complains that it needs PyGTK 2.22+
>>> to run. But I have PyGTK 2.24.0 installed!
>>>
>>> The full story of my process of getting the Gajim source, installing
>>> and/or compiling and installing dependencies is detailed in a
>>> LinuxQuestions' thread. I will give you the thread address, but I will
>>> also summarize the important parts (for this discussion) right after:
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/installing-needed-…
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> 1. Downloaded Gajim 0.16.7 tarball:
>>> https://gajim.org/downloads.php?lang=en#source
>>>
>>> 2. Discovered dependency: installed python-nbxmpp (
>>> https://dev.gajim.org/gajim/python-nbxmpp/ ) from source. A few more
>>> packages were installed through Synaptic (details in post #1).
>>>
>>> 3. To install PyGTK 2.24.0 (
>>> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pygtk/2.24/ ), pygobject >=
>>> 2.21.3 was needed, tar.bz of 2.21.3 here:
>>> https://launchpad.net/pygobject/+milestone/2.21.3
>>>
>>> 4. PyGTK reported, before building:
>>> ==
>>> The following modules will be built:
>>> atk
>>> pango
>>>
>>> The following modules will NOT be built:
>>> pangocairo
>>> gtk
>>> gtk.glade
>>> gtk.unixprint
>>>
>>> Numpy support: no
>>> ==
>>>
>>> 4.1. What should I do to build those in the "NOT" section? Are they
>>> used by Gajim?
>>>
>>> 4.2. PyGTK installer reported (full report on thread page 2, post #21):
>>>
>>> Libraries have been installed in:
>>> /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gtk-2.0
>>>
>>> 5. PyGTK 2.24.0 is installed. Gajim still does not work, saying that
>>> it needs PyGTK 2.22+. What to do?
>>>
>>> 6. Someone said that "Gajim requires: pycrypto, pyOpenSSL,
>>> python-nbxmpp". I have not found this written in any Gajim file I
>>> downloaded. Does my build of Gajim includes support for security
>>> features?
>>>
>>> I will be waiting for comments or (in the best possibility) the
>>> solution for my problem,
>>>
>>> Dedeco
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Gajim-devel mailing list
>>> Gajim-devel(a)gajim.org
>>> https://lists.gajim.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/gajim-devel
>>
>