Hello,
Current Gajim has predefined list of proxies for file transfer:
* proxy.eu.jabber.org
* proxy.jabber.ru
* proxy.jabbim.cz
There're problems with them
* proxy.eu.jabber.org: it seems eu.jabber.org is dead
Response for the request from jabber.ru server:
<iq to="proxy.eu.jabber.org" type="get">
<query xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/bytestreams" />
</iq>
<iq from='proxy.eu.jabber.org' to='***(a)jabber.ru/Gajim' type='error'
xml:lang='en'> <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/bytestreams'/>
<error code='404' type='cancel'>
<remote-server-not-found
xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/> </error>
</iq>
* proxy.jabber.ru: works only for local users, so users from other
XMPP servers can't use this proxy
Response for the same request made from my own XMPP server:
<iq to="proxy.jabber.ru" type="get">
<query xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/bytestreams" />
</iq>
<iq from='proxy.jabber.ru' to='xxx(a)yyy.com/Gajim' type='error'>
<query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/bytestreams'/>
<error code='403' type='auth'>
<forbidden xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/>
</error>
</iq>
I asked guys from support(a)conference.jabber.ru and they confirmed
that the proxy works only for the local users.
* proxy.jabbim.cz: the only minor problem with this proxy is that its
jabber server can't connect to any XMPP servers with strong and modern
TLS settings used for the s2s connection. By this I mean the server
configuration as described at
https://blog.process-one.net/securing-ejabberd-with-tls-encryption/
(see recommended settings).
I think proxy.eu.jabber.org and proxy.jabber.ru should be removed from
the list. Some proxy with strong TLS settings should be added, so it
will be useful for users using such servers.
The other problem is silence of Gajim. It doesn't report that all
proxies are not available, though Use file transfer proxies setting is
set to Yes. There should be some way to notify the user about it.
--
Regards,
Anatoly
Hi,
I switched to Gajim some months ago and would like to know, how the
contributers are organized and how the structure of the community is like?
So is the community still active? Where can people help easily? What are
aspects/ideas that are still pending for some time?
P.S: Some personal thoughts from external view about dev infrastructure:
https://trac.gajim.org/ticket/8359
P.P.S: My personal background is OpenStreetMap / GIS and I'm a big fan
of open source and redecentralized web and infrastructure(Freifunk).
Unfortunately with to less time to do big steps in my sparetime :-/