[Gajim-devel] Switch Gajim source repository to DVCS
cilugnedon at gmx.de
Sat Dec 13 21:24:33 CET 2008
recently we had a discussion about DVCS in Gajim's groupchat.
I vote for switching from SVN to DVCS and below I want to outline why. Because
Gajim is mostly implemented in Python, I guess Mercurial (hg)  could be the best
For me DVCS has only advantages ;-)
- Complete repository
- Independent from online repository, therefore offline commits
- Easy branching for trying out new features
- Easy merge
- Increased overall flexibility
There are certainly more. I found an article  summarizing them pretty well.
I looked deeper into DVCS this summer and focused on Git. Therefore most of my
links refer to Git, so do the articles  and . There are a bunch more
articles and blog entries about this topic.
A short description how to convert subversion to mercurial can be found at
. I haven't tried it out yet. There is a mercurial plugin for trac . I
haven't used it yet and cannot tell how well it's working. Maybe someone on
the list has some experiences about it.
I'd like to hear you oppinions about switching vom SVN to DVCS.
 - http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/
 - http://eagain.net/articles/git-for-computer-scientists/
 - http://changelog.complete.org/archives/689-revisiting-git-and-mercurial
 - http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/WorkingWithSubversion
 - http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracMercurial
E-Mail: cilugnedon at gmx.de || Jabber-ID: cilugnedon at jabber.org
1024D/B94B8FCB BBC1 D649 BBA7 C1E4 97BC 30F3 FF4C E2F1 B94B 8FCB
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 197 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
More information about the Gajim-devel